Barclarie # CLT S NO347098 4
David Growndiestoun of Barclarey 1595 Laing Chrs. no. 1303 [Grundiston]
Barclarie 1623 RMS viii no. 586 [James VI confirms grant by Thomas Blair to his wife, Margaret Ayton (Aytoun); the lands of Walton (Weltoun), Wester Cults (Wester Cultis), Barclarie, *Ruchlees (Ro<c>hleyis) and Cults Mill (Cult-Myll), all CLT, in the barony of Cults (Cultis), sheriffdom of Fife]
? Baalgary 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Barclairie 1648 RMS ix no. 1939 col. 2 [to John earl of Crawford and Lindsay i.a. ‘the lands of Barclarie and Cults in the parish of Cults’ (terras de Barclairie et Cults, in parochia de Cults)]
Barclarie 1648 APS vi part 2, 116 [as above entry, but in Scots, and adds Skelpie CLT to the list: ‘landis of Barclarie and Cults and landis of Skelpie ... and teyndschaves (teind-sheaves)’]
Barbclare 1652 RMS x no. 33 col. 3 [the lands of Cults (Cultis) and Barclarie, the lands of Pitlessie (Pittlessie) etc.]
Barclarie 1652 RMS x no. 40 col. 3 [lands of Cults, Barclarie and Skelpie (Catskelpie) in the parish of Cults]
Barcharie 1652 RMS x no. 41 col. 3 [to James Stewart of Kirkfield the lands of Cults (Cultiss) and Barclarie, and the lands of Pitlessie (Pitlesi) CLT etc.]
? K. Barguborrie 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [shown in CLT, across the burn from Skelpey CLT, but Skelpie is not on a burn]
? Barguhorrie 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [north-west of Craigrothie (Craigrothy) CER; see discussion]
? Bulgery 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [between Balass CUP and Rumgally KMB]
Barclarie 1664 Retours (Fife) no. 968 [‘lands of Cults and Barclarie within the parish of Cults’ (terris de Cults et Barclarie infra parochiam de Cults)]
? Burntorrie 1796 Sasines no. 4447 [earl of Crawford and Lindsay, including ‘lands of Cults, Burntorrie and Limecraig of Pitlessie’]
? G bàrr + ? G clàr + ? –in
This would seem to contain G bàrr ‘(hill-)top’ and G clàr ‘flat place’, or possibly an adjective clàrach ‘flat’ (see Franclarachin # KWY, below). Alternatively the final syllable may be a reduced form of the common locational suffix –in. It could therefore be interpreted as meaning something like ‘place of the flat hill top’.
Blaeu (Pont) East Fife shows K. Barguborrie, with K. presumably for Kirk, with a church- or chapel-symbol beside it, on the north side of a burn, with Skelpie (Skelpey) CLT opposite on the south side and Barguhorrie (note different spelling) somewhat to the east, near Craigrothie (Craigrothy) CER. But Skelpie is not on a burn, and there is no evidence of any settlement, let alone a church, to the immediate north of it at such an early date. The settlement of Paradise CLT, north-east of Skelpie, cannot be K. Barguborrie, since it is not a church and in any case is a modern settlement. Barguhorrie and Barguborrie may be mangled and misplaced versions of what is represented by Gordon MS Fife (1642) as Baalgary and by Blaeu (Gordon) Fife (1654) as Bulgery, both of which are shown in KMB. But there is no other evidence of any name approximating to Bulgery in KMB. The most plausible explanation is that Baalgary and Bulgery are displaced and mangled versions of Barclarie CLT, and in that case Pont’s Barguborrie and Barguhorrie are also likely to represent Barclarie. The K<irk> attached to the name by Blaeu (Pont) East Fife may result from an identification of this Barclarie site with Ceres kirk, which is not otherwise shown on the map, unusually for a parish kirk.
Barrow (1974, 32) comments on witness Bernard of Beckery (the form in both late copies of Barrow 1974 no. 6, 1238 × 1240), suggesting it may be Pitkierie KRY. But it is possible that Beckery represents Barclarie # CLT.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2