Magask

Magask CER SSL S NO4414 2 125m

tres Magaskes c.1196 x 1198 Barrow 1971 no. 7 [‘(the) three Magasks’, part of Kinninmonthshire]
cum tribus Malgaskis 1196 x 1204 Barrow 1971 no. 8 [= RRS ii no. 411; ‘with (the) three Magasks’]
Malgast Madech c.1220 Terrier D [17/18th c. copy; held of St Andrews Priory by Adam son of Odo]
Malgast amerren c.1220 Terrier D held of St Andrews Priory by Adam son of Odo]
Malgasc 1263 x 1274 Barrow 1974 no. 7 [see KMB Introduction, Language and Landscape]
Ovirmalgask 1437 St A. Cop. no. 83 [see following]
Nethermalgask 1437 St A. Cop. no. 83 [to William Bonnar, teindsheaf of Over and Nether Magask, and the teindsheaf of Clatto (Clattow) SSL]
Ovirmalgask 1438 St A. Lib. 430 [held of the Priory by James of Kinninmonth (Kyninmond) of that ilk]
Over-Magask 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 401 [17th c. copy; Taxt roll of Fife; ?3]
Nether Magask 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 401 [17th c. copy; Taxt roll of Fife; ?2]
Over et Nethir Magask 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [St Andrews church lands]
terram templariam vocat. Magask 1614 RMS vii no. 1100 [‘temple land called Magask, held by the lord of Blebo’ (per dominum de Blabow possess.)]
Over et Nether Magaskis 1620 RMS viii no. 21
Magask Ovir et Nather 1635 RMS ix no. 315
? Maigehol 1642 Gordon MS Fife [probably represents Magask, but is shown too far south, between Wilkieston CMN and Cassindonald CMN. Magask (in any form) is not shown on Blaeu (Pont) East Fife]
terram templariam vocatam Magask 1645 Retours (Fife) no. 690 [‘temple land called Magask’]
? Maigehole 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [see Gordon MS Fife]
Magast 1670 Retours (Fife) no. 1074 [temple land called Magast (terram templariam vocatam Magast)]
Overmagask 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1272
Neather Magask 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1272
lie Muire de Magask 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1272 [‘the muir of Magask’]
Evermagus 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Nether Magus 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Upper Magus 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Magask 1790s OSA, 148 [‘Magask, or as it is commonly called, Magus Moor’]
Nether Magus 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Upper Magus 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Nether Magus 1828 SGF
Upper Magus 1828 SGF
Nether Magask 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Upper Magask 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Magus Muir 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [the land sloping down to the east from Upper Magask]

G maol + G gasg

‘Bare (tail-like) ridge’. Watson (1926, 500) derives the first element of this place-name from G magh ‘plain’, but it is clear from early forms such as Malgaskis 1196 × 1204 and Malgast c.1220, that the first element is G maol ‘bare’. The eponymous gasg (‘tail; long ridge’) is the elongated, elevated ground running from Blebo Mains to the outskirts of St Andrews, along the top of which the Bishop’s Road runs, formerly the main approach road to St Andrews from the west. Upper Magus sits on this ridge, while Nether Magask lies on the lower ground to the north.

    The –es/–is endings on the earliest forms are Sc plurals, indicating its threefold division, in place by the late twelfth century (see e.g. Barrow 1971 no. 7). Two of these parts are named in the Terrier, viz Malgast Madech and Malgast amerren. Madech (which can also be read Madeth) is the personal name Madethin, who may be the Madethin mac Mathusalem who witnesses various charters relating to the St Andrews area from around 1170 (see e.g. Barrow 1971 no. 2 and notes). The meaning of amerren (or a merren, as it appears in the Terrier) is unclear, though it probably also represents a personal name. Both these parts of Magask appear in the Terrier amongst the lands held of St Andrews Priory by Adam son of Odo (of Kinninmonth).

    It was in St Andrews parish until 1621, when it was transferred to CER, as part of the barony of Kinninmonth (APS iv p. 682; see CER Introduction above, for more details. See also Kinninmonth CER, SSL.

    OS Pathf. shows Nether Magask (NO442151), Upper Magus (NO446147) and Magus Muir (R), formerly the rough grazing (Sc muir) attached to Magask (Magus), and the site of the infamous murder of Archbishop Sharp in 1679. The above NGR and height is for Upper Magus.

    /ˈmagəsk/, /ˈmɔgəs/ or /ˈmagəs/[43]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2