Lymlandis 1610 RMS vii no. 80
terris de Lymlandis 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 261 [in the lands of Ladeddie (Ladeddie) CER, SSL and in the lands of *Limelands]
Lymlandis 1619 RMS vii no. 2077
Lyme landis 1621 APS iv p. 682 [transferred from St Andrews parish to CER; see CER Introduction]
(lands of) Lymelandis 1635 RMS ix no. 315 [lands of Ladeddie (Laddedie) CER, SSL and *Limelands]
Lymelandes 1642 RMS ix no. 1005 [part of the barony of Kinninmonth CER, SSL]
Lymelands 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [lands of Ladeddie (Ladedie) CER, SSL and *Limelands with their teinds]
Sc lime + Sc land
‘Land where lime is extracted’. This is almost certainly the land which was formerly known as Inchcalc #, which contains G calc ‘limestone’ (see above s.n.). Both were in Kinninmonthshire, and were closely associated with Ladeddie CER, SSL. It may even be a translation of the earlier G name. However, given the conspicuous feature to which it refers, and given the fact that it was probably being exploited for economic gain at an early date, it is equally possible that the Sc name arose independently of the Gaelic one. According to NSA ix, 521–2, limestone was still being wrought at Ladeddie in the first half of the nineteenth century.
Martine (1797, 177, 181), in discussing the lands of Kinninmonthshire, states that they included Lambies. This probably represents Limelands.
There is also Limelands in DNO, q.v.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2